Master a language. Live in that language and its culture and learn to think differently. Study complex global social and ethical issues through literature and film. This is what the faculty of LLC offers you in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Russian.
On October 4, Dr. Joe Troncale will present "The Life-Creating Principle of Russian Art," a lecture in conjunction with the opening of the University Museums exhibit, "Visions from the Other Side: Works by Nicholas Roerich."
Paper proposals are now being accepted for our international conference on flimmaker Wim Wenders, taking place in February 2017. Learn more.
We're excited to welcome Dr. Caroline Weist as assistant professor of German studies.
- Howell Podcast
Yvonne Howell discussed her latest book, Red Star Tales : A Century of Russian and Soviet Science Fiction as part of the Podcasts@Boatwright Series.
- Howell Book
Dr. Yvonne Howell published Red Star Tales, a collection of over a century of science-fiction stories from Russia and the former Soviet Union.
- Bonfiglio named Chair
Dr. Thomas Bonfiglio has been named the William Judson Gaines Chair in Modern Foreign Languages.
- Troncale Fellowship
Dr. Joe Troncale has been awarded a 2015 Fellowship in Russia by the Likhachev Foundation and will spend two weeks in Russia this May. The fellowships support foreign professionals in the field of arts and culture who currently work on creative projects on (or related to) Russian culture or history. Troncale is preparing to curate an exhibition of Nicholas Roerich’s paintings, drawings, and sketches.
- Africa Week Lecture: Urban Environments in Africa: Sustainable Development and Grassroots Socio-Environmental JusticeSep296:30 PM - 8:00 PMAs part of Africa Week, the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures welcomes Dr. Garth Myers, who will speak... Continue reading
- Alice in the Cities (West Germany)Sep303:00 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Wim Wenders, West Germany, 1974)... Continue reading
- Alice in the Cities (West Germany)Oct027:30 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Wim Wenders, West Germany, 1974)... Continue reading
- The Life-Creating Principle of Russian ArtOct046:00 PM - 8:00 PMLecture presented by Joe Troncale, Associate Professor of Russian Literature and Visual Studies, Department of... Continue reading
- Tokyo Story (Japan)Oct213:00 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Yasujiro Ozu, Japan, 1953) ... Continue reading
- Tokyo Story (Japan)Oct237:30 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Yasujiro Ozu, Japan, 1953) ... Continue reading
- Mediterranean Crossings: Borders, Islands, Bodies and the Making of a New ArchiveNov023:00 PM - 4:30 PMThe Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures welcomes Dr. Simona Wright from The College of New Jersey.... Continue reading
- Mia Madre (Italy)Nov043:00 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Nanni Morreti, Italy, 2015) ... Continue reading
- Mia Madre (Italy)Nov067:30 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Nanni Morreti, Italy, 2015) ... Continue reading
- A Coffee in Berlin (Germany)Nov113:00 PM - 9:30 PM(Dir. Jan Ole Gerster, Germany, 2013) ... Continue reading
Scholarship Repository Readership
The University of Richmond's Scholarship Repository shares faculty publications with a world-wide audience. The map below shows where articles from LLC faculty are being read around the globe.